Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Good Life.

Well we have two more days in the winter semester and then it is OVER!!! Goodbye 20 credits, hello 12 and part-time internship!!! I could not be more excited to start my last semester here in Rexy.  I started orientation today at the place I will be interning at. It's located in Idaho Falls and is a Family Services company.  I will be working in the Developmental Therapy section right now.  My job title for my internship is: Developmental Therapist or D.T. Makes me sound legit huh? ;) Here is a link to an informational video about the kind of therapy this company uses a lot- it's based off of behavioral neuropsychology: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyCx-OLzgJw&feature=related

One of the things I love most about the progress made in the field of psychology thus far is taking abnormal psychological  disorders and helping people with them have an opportunity to live life to their fullest capacity despite their set backs.  That's why I'm especially excited to work with kids with autism. Autism is the fastest growing disorder in the US and its currently estimated that nearly 1/150 kids are diagnosed with some form of autism.  Today I met some autistic kids at my work- they were so adorable and such a handful!  I have no doubt in my mind that it will be hard work, but this job is an opportunity I am honored to have.

 It is a humbling experience to see people who struggle with disabilities.  It makes me realize how much I've taken for granted my whole life.  These kids I met spend hours in therapy learning how to sit still or count or look you in the eye- seemingly meaningless things the rest of us do every day and don't realize how important they are in helping us function properly.  I hope research continues to move forward and I'm lucky to be able to take part in this kind of work.

(neither pictures posted are mine)

1 comment: